What to do when a death occurs

Expected Death at Home

If the death was expected the doctor will give you a medical certificate showing the cause of death and tell you how to register the death. Once the doctor has issued the medical certificate, and when you feel ready to do so, you can call a funeral director who will move the body to a funeral home and help you with all the arrangements.

Someone dies in hospital

The hospital will usually issue a medical certificate and formal notice. They will support you with the next steps you need to take. The body will usually be kept in the hospital mortuary until the funeral directors or relatives arrange a chapel of rest, or for the body to be taken home.

Someone dies abroad

If someone dies abroad, register the death according to the regulations of the country. Register it with the British Consul in the country too, so you can get a consulate death certificate and a record can be kept in the UK.

Subscribe newsletter

Please trust us, we will never send you spam

© Habib Muslim Funeral Services 2018